Line 6 Spider 112 50 Watts Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Line 6 Spider 112 50 Watts Problem

Hello fellow guitar enthusiasts! I have a Spider 112 50 watt amp just like in this video.

The problem is, mine will not turn on. I've checked the fuse but it is fine. I really don't know what happened to it. My friend just found it in a closet somewhere and gave it to me. So we both do not know any history on it. But any help would be appreciated at all!

Also, I would like to add that my dad checked it out too and there seems to be no power coming out from the output plug. (Forgot what it was called.) He said that it might be a transformer issue. I'm hoping it's not and just an easy fix because this amp will be able to sustain my needs for a while.

OK, between you, your friend, and your dad, is there anyone with actual electronics skills? Do you have a meter and understand its use?

When you say it won't turn on, to me that means it sits there dead and dark as it if was not even plugged into the wall. Is that what you mean? Or do you mean it lights up, but makes no sound?

You may have checked "the" fuse, but there may be other fuses inside. If it is really dead, it could have a lot of different things wrong, starting with a bad power cord, broken solder on the power cord connector, bad fuse holder, bad switch, yes even a bad transformer is possible, but is low on the list.

There are only so many things that can be checked by a novice visually, after those, we need to take meter readings.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Here is a test that you can do without plugging the amp into the wall.
      (The safest kind of a test)
      You need to divide the problem in half.
      Is it a power transformer primary side problem or a secondary side.
      What I would recommend, using an ohmmeter, is placing the meter leads on the line & neutral blades of the plug itself.
      With a known good fuse installed & turning on the power switch, you should be reading the resistance of the primary winding of the power transformer. (approx 3-10 ohms)
      If that reading is good, then the problem is on the secondary side of the power transformer.
      If you get no reading at all (open circuit) then you need to verify (with your meter) that both line & neutral wire connections reach the transformer.
      If they do, then the primary side of the transfomer is suspect. (open circuit).
      I have attached the power supply circuit.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Jazz P Bass; 08-03-2013, 03:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
        OK, between you, your friend, and your dad, is there anyone with actual electronics skills? Do you have a meter and understand its use?
        My dad has a background with electronics. I do have a meter and I understand it.
        When you say it won't turn on, to me that means it sits there dead and dark as it if was not even plugged into the wall. Is that what you mean? Or do you mean it lights up, but makes no sound?
        It doesn't turn on at all. No lights, just like if it is not plugged in even if it is.

Oh, also, the amp has not been opened up yet. I'm not sure how to open it without making damages. Just remove the screws and stuff? Yeah, when we tested it, we just did it from the outside and all.

Comment

If you`re lucky it could be as 'simple' as Community: spider 112 power
          ~~
          Many solid state amps you draw a little diagram of the wire colors going to the speaker and the reverb (your amp probably doesn`t have a reverb box), you carefully pull the wires off the terminals, unscrew 4 bolts/screws in the top of the combo and pull/push the electronics out the back/(sometimes front) being careful with the wires that went to the speaker and reverb.

Time for a good inspection of the board.

Comment

In post #3, JazzP suggested a test that can be done with power off and without taking the amp apart, you should try that test before anything else.
            Originally posted by Enzo
            I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Working...
            X