Sajica Questions: T Bar Cichlid

Manu8__too

Aimara
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2013
After 28+ years of keeping Cichlids, I’ve decided to pursue a new challenge. I plan on picking up a group of Sajica Cichlids. I will be raising a group of 6 in a 65G (until I thin the herd).
With that being said, I’d love some feedback (outside of what I can read online). I have a few questions. I’d love your personal experiences, opinions, and feedback.
1) How is their temperament?
2) What is their growth rate like?
3) In your experiences, what is the best way to differentiate gender?

As I said, I’ve been doing this a VERY long time. However, Sajicas are new to me and I’d love every tidbit of additional info that I can get my hands on.

Pics to come…..

stiker

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2014
In my experience they are pretty docile (unless spawning) just like the other members of the genus’ Amatitlania / Cryptoheros. Keep in mind male Sajica get bigger than a lot of people anticipate considering they are referred to as small Central American cichlids, the same with all members of Amatitlania / Cryptoheros. The gain a lot of bulk as they get old, in height / width.

The easiest way to differential gender is the colouration of the dorsal / anal fin. In males it will be red / blue and in females it will be yellow.

It has been over a year since I kept the species and when I had them they lived in a pond outside so i don’t have any images of them (I know Duanes has beautiful images of a massive male)

Reactions: Krismo962

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Gender is easy to differentiate once mature, especially if you acquire a group.
Males of the same age will get much larger, much faster.
Here is a male. (@ 8"L) long fin trailers, less deep color
1631963657119.png
now a female(@ 4"), fins less tapered, darker colors
1631963742707.png
Together as a pair differences are most telling
1631963798801.png
If you start with a group of 6 or 8, once a pair forms, none of the others are safe (or any other cichlids), and the pair will simultaneously eliminate
all others in any tank smaller than 6 ft.
In the shot below you can easily see the females ovipositor, indicating readiness to spawn..
1631964056974.png
Her color also deepens
1631964133269.png
As far as temperament, they are no "less", or no more aggressive than any other cichlid.
The smaller the tank, the more aggressive they will be.
I would not expect to hold more than a mated pair in a 65 (maybe some dithers), but no other cichlids, or perch like species (especially other Amatitlania.
Growth rate is cichlid-normal, although the more water changes done, the faster they grow.
I average 30%-40% water change every other day on all my tanks, so mine grew quite quickly

Last edited:
Reactions: ..puSkar..

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Good info from Duanes above. I would only add that it may be beneficial to keep the unpaired "extras" in the tank when the pair begins breeding, to keep the attention external and stop the male from turning on female. Alternatively, the fish will still breed through a divider. Or, you may not have a problem keeping them together, but I have had this issue with similar species, though not with sajica.

My current male grew pretty quickly. I got him in July of last year at the size shown here
1180894-d4e333b7009b5a5e71b175b812df1ef4.jpg

And this is what he looks like now, a little over a year later. Easily triple the size, probably 4-5" now.
1226491-5033ac494d828801ec4382b77357f9c7.jpg

Manu8__too

Aimara
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2013
Thanks for all of the info/help, guys. I will be placing my order on Monday. I’ve decided to go with the F1 “Rio Pequita” Sajicas that are being sold via Cichlids of the Americas. As I said, I will be starting with 6 and adjusting stock as necessary. Looking forward to this!

Reactions: ..puSkar..

Toiletcar

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2008
USA
Good info from Duanes above. I would only add that it may be beneficial to keep the unpaired "extras" in the tank when the pair begins breeding, to keep the attention external and stop the male from turning on female. Alternatively, the fish will still breed through a divider. Or, you may not have a problem keeping them together, but I have had this issue with similar species, though not with sajica.

My current male grew pretty quickly. I got him in July of last year at the size shown here
View attachment 1473257

And this is what he looks like now, a little over a year later. Easily triple the size, probably 4-5" now.
View attachment 1473258
Beautiful male ?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store